Old Fashioned Chess Pie


I really enjoy Chess Pie, but I am not a big fan of the vinegar and cornmeal versions.
I was glad to come across this old recipe without those two ingredients.


This recipe starts with a homemade pie crust.
I used my standard crust recipe:
1 1/2 cups flour plain
1/2 cup shortening
5-6 Tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon salt
This time, I chose to roll the crust extra thin in order to get three crusts from the recipe.
I actually found I really liked the thin crust, so I will try this again.


 The great thing about this pie is that you don't need any special ingredients.
It is inexpensive to make.
You will need:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour, plain
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla


 Start by melting the margarine and then add the sugar.  
Cream these two ingredients together.


 Next add the flour and salt, stirring together.


 Finally add the egg yolks.  Stir.
Then, add the milk and vanilla.  Stir.


Pour mixture into an unbaked pie crust. 
Bake 45 minutes at 300 degrees until filling is set.
I found with my oven, I needed to increase the temperature and cook this pie a 
little longer to get it to set.

Enjoy!!!

Comments

Popular Posts